Bessie Surtees
Home About us Contact Sign-in SiteMap
  Up
Chinatown
Black Gate
Jesmond Dene
Castle Keep
Bessie Surtees
 
 
  Information  
 
Bessie Surtees House

Preserved Jacobean buildings on the Quayside

The house is actually two 16th and 17th century houses which once belonged to merchants who lived on the Quayside close to where the Swing Bridge is now sited. The buildings are essentially unfurnished, but many original architectural features remain. One of the houses is a rare and unusual example of Jacobean domestic architecture. Bessie Surtees, a well known local figure in 17th century Newcastle, apparently eloped through a window to marry John Scott, a young man of whom Bessie's father disapproved, but who later became Lord Eldon, a prominent local landowner whose name is remembered in the Eldon Square Shopping Centre. English Heritage currently use part of the property as offices.
 

Admission: free.

Address: 41-44 Sandhill Quayside Newcastle-upon-Tyne Tyne and Wear NE1 3JF

Opening hours: 10am-4pm Mon-Fri (excluding Bank Holidays)
Telephone: +44 191 269 1200
Neighbourhood: Quayside
Nearest train: Central Station

 

September 10, 2006

Webcam Links

Tyne Tunnel Cams

Tyne Bridge Cams

BBC Tyne Cameras

Sunderland Weather

Durham Cathedral


 text

.

Google

 

 

News | Site Map | About Us |contact  | Videos | The Coast | sign-In

 

Copyright [2006] Dean Wilson[www.geordielife.com]. All rights reserved